Robles , CA
Paso de Robles is Spanish for the "Pass
of the Oaks", (1) and one can imagine passing through the upper
Salinas Valley among the oaks with deer, mountain lions, and bear
roaming the area.
town of Paso Robles was first part of the lands of the Mission San
Miguel. (2) After Mexico took Alta California from the Spanish,
the land became Paso Robles Rancho. In 1857 it was purchased by
Daniel and James Blackburn and Lazarus Godchaux. (1)
of note are: The California Mid-State Fair, the El Paso de Robles
Area Pioneer Museum which has limited hours (805-239-4556), and
the Call-Booth House Gallery House where the local art association
displays works of art.
Call-Booth Gallery is a joyful combination of history and art."
It is a Queen Anne style cottage which serves as the gallery for
the Paso Robles Art Association. The hours are Wednesday through
Sunday from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. It is located just one street west
of Spring Street (the main street) on Vine Street where it intersects
with 13th Street.
Paso Robles Inn is a famous landmark and was first built in 1891
as part of a hot springs resort. The Inn has gardens, trees, streams,
and fish ponds. It faces Spring Street, the main street of Paso
horse ranching, and grain are other agricultural industries. Almonds
orchards were once a large industry.The area is a favorite area
for those who like the rural life.
Central Coast, Auto Club of Southern California Guide, 1995.
The Lands of Mission San Miguel, Wallace V. Ohles, 1997.